Nestled in the heart of Ecuador’s Choco rainforest, the Mashpi Reserve is a veritable paradise of biodiversity and endemism, coming together to form a modern-day Eden teeming with incredible, rare wildlife and lush, exotic greenery. And while many might think that a place as unique and special as the Mashpi Reserve deserves to be on a remote tropical island, we invite you to think again. The Reserve is actually located on the northwestern slopes of the Ecuadorian Andes, just a short distance from Quito – the country’s bustling capital city. Yet the two places couldn’t be farther apart in what they represent: Quito, a developing urban destination steeped in history, culture, and politics; and Mashpi, one of the planet’s few remaining pristine, verdant hotspots for biodiversity.
Fortunately, the Mashpi Reserve is open to guests looking where to stay in the rainforest. Those who choose to stay at Mashpi Lodge, a luxury nature lodge, it allows them to learn about endemic life in the area, explore it, and enjoy the natural treasures that it holds, all from the comfort of a world-class Lodge! When all is said and done, how much does it cost to have such a wonderful experience at Mashpi, and most importantly – why is it worth it?
First things first: What makes Mashpi Lodge so special?
When a trip is booked to Mashpi Lodge, guests may be surprised to know that they are not simply booking an average night at an ordinary hotel. Rather, they are booking an Expedition Experience that’s focused on tailored and guided excursions throughout this incredible hotel in the rainforest, complete with visits to interactive sites and journeys aboard astounding feats of engineering and design, all of this and more within one of nature’s remaining wonderlands! And the best part? It’s all done in the company of seasoned and incredibly insightful Naturalist and Local Guides.
Staying at Mashpi Lodge is also an incredibly enriching learning experience. With a dedicated team of intrepid researchers, new species are constantly being discovered and studied. The gaps in knowledge regarding many other species that were previously unknown to science are steadily being narrowed as Mashpi’s researchers continuously uncover more and more details about them. This cutting-edge scientific knowledge is shared directly with guests by the amiable researchers themselves or by the Lodge’s insightful, well-informed Naturalist Guides.
Sustainability & Social Responsibility
Mashpi Lodge is also a pioneer in conservation and community sustainability, hosting several international initiatives including CO2 absorption, training local populations on organic farming and environmental conservation, and other intriguing projects that guests are informed of during their time at the Lodge.
Staying at Mashpi Lodge and spending time in the surrounding reserve is truly a life-changing experience, and not only for guests: Over 75% of the Lodge’s employees come from the surrounding communities, and most ingredients and other supplies are locally sourced. This has contributed to improving living standards for dozens of local families, making each stay at the Lodge a life-changing experience for many!
Luxury, Service & Amenities
Visiting one of the most pristine corners of the earth does not mean guests need to forego modern comforts. Indeed, the level of luxury and service found at Mashpi Lodge are so high that guests sometimes need to remind themselves that they truly are in the middle of a primary cloud forest! Every surface in the hotel is painstakingly covered in premium materials. All of the meals, snacks and beverages prepared and served by the attentive, professional team of chefs and waiters have been elaborately crafted, and often include hand-picked, surprisingly rare fruits, herbs, and spices. Rooms are notably impeccable, and have floor-to-ceiling panoramic windows revealing the incredible vegetation surrounding the lodge and the endless sky beyond. The plush, cozy beds feel impossibly comfortable after a day of excursions and discovery, and the amenities of the room, from the comfortable chairs to the sumptuous bathrobes, have been meticulously designed to make this the best rainforest hotel.
What is included in the Mashpi Lodge price tag?
Mashpi Lodge works on an all-inclusive model to allow guests to fully enjoy their stay without having to concern themselves with prices and charges. The rates charged by the hotel include nearly everything! A comprehensive list of what is included is below:
1. Accommodation in a spacious and comfortable room, starting from 34 m2 (366 ft2).
2. Three complete meals (per night booked), including a hearty buffet breakfast (or a boxed breakfast if your excursions involve a particularly early departure), a generous lunch buffet that expertly combines both traditional Ecuadorian and international cuisine, and a gourmet à la carte dinner featuring delicious menu choices.
3. Unlimited non-alcoholic beverages throughout the day (freshly squeezed fruit juices, purified water, soft drinks, premium locally grown coffee, and wide range of teas and infusions).
4. Customized tours of the Reserve with one local and one specialized and experienced Naturalist Guide. Daily excursions involve exploring the surrounding, primary forest. The Naturalist Guides speak both English and Spanish (and other languages upon request prior to arrival). All activities are planned by the guests and their guide after arriving to Mashpi Lodge to ensure that each excursion fits in perfectly with their interests and preferred activity levels.
5. Mashpi Lodge provides guests with rain ponchos, rubber boots, walking sticks, binoculars, repellant, a carry sack, and a large water bottle for excursions. Powerful flashlights or headlamps are also provided in the case of night walks.
6. Free Wi-Fi throughout the Lodge is available to guests.
7. Transfers in and out of Mashpi Lodge from Casa Gangotena in Quito and other main hotels in the city. What is Mashpi’s executive transfer service like? Click here for a first-hand description.
How much does it cost to stay at Mashpi Lodge per night?
The 2022 rate starts from $1,280 + taxes, based on double occupancy of a standard room. Service tax is additional and there is a Municipal Tax of US $2.75 charged per room, per night.
Spending a few days at Mashpi Lodge in the middle of Ecuador’s Choco rainforest is an unforgettable experience that leaves guests with incredible memories, amazing stories, and a closer connection to nature and to themselves. It is an experience that transcends conventional vacations, giving guests a unique perspective on the significance of preserving nature for future generations. Like few other places around the world, Mashpi Lodge is well worth the price of admission –a place that none forget, and all leave wishing they could spend more time in such an awe-inspiring destination.