The right gear can make a big difference when it comes to exploring the cloud forest and the rain forest! At Mashpi Lodge, we are happy to supply you with rubber boots for your expeditions. Please make sure you send us your shoe size in advance. The lodge also supplies trekking poles, but you are welcome to bring your own.
The following is a list of items we suggest you pack in order to fully enjoy your experience at Mashpi Lodge.
- Walking shoes/sneakers
- Gore-Tex jacket (note: Guests are provided with waterproof ponchos)
- Socks (we recommend ankle-length running socks, two pairs per day)
- Lightweight, earth- or dark-colored, long-sleeve T-shirts and shirts
- Earth- or dark-colored, light-weight pants/trousers
- Small backpack
- Appliance chargers (outlets in Ecuador are US-style, 2 flat pins, 110 volts)
- Ziploc bags of different sizes for keeping things dry
- Light fleece/sweater
- Sandals/Tevas (with a good grip on the bottom for river walking)
- Insect repellent (natural, not chemical like DEET)
- Good binoculars
- Headlamp (or flashlight)
- Camera and/or video recorder and extra memory cards
- Extra batteries
Don’t leave anything behind:
Note: We kindly ask that luggage not exceed 20 kg (45 lb) in weight, with one item per person. Also, due to the Lodge’s wastewater management system, we request guests only use biodegradable soaps and shampoos (the Lodge supplies these as part of its amenities), and to flush only toilet paper in lavatories.
At Mashpi Lodge’s boutique you will find a small selection of books, guides, clothing (T-shirts, shirts, hats, buffs), crafts, as well as essentials (batteries, healthcare products, etc.).